Monday, January 3, 2011

Off to Baja...

As the new year rang in for us here in Colorado...my wife and I turned our attention to our upcoming family adventure to Baja. Here in a couple days the bite of the Colorado winter will be replaced with two months of the warm breezes and surf of the Baja Peninsula for the Evans family.

I have been blessed over the past 20 years to have traveled the world, seeking out adventure on mountains, rocks and adventure races in wonderfully remote and exotic locations. Now that my son Jace is a spry 5 years old...I think he's ready to start his life of adventure and exploration.

We identified a small house, right on the beach in the small fishing and kiteboarding communnity of Los Barilles...just south of La Paz.

We refuse to treat this as a vacation (except for the occasional sunset beer). Our activities will include whale watching, turtle egg hatching, deep sea and beach fishing, kiteboarding (my new sport), surfing and not least importantly...a revision of my book (which will now include photos).

When all is said and done, everything I do is for my family. It is finally time for us all to share an adventure together... establishing memories and spending quality time together in a unique and somewhat exotic location.

Don't forget to carve out time for the people closest to you. Time is so fleeting. We have a finite amount of it and I for one will spend the first bit of this joyous new year with the two people closest to me.
Then....it's on to the month long around the world race that is known as "Expedition Impossible".
Happy New Year!